Your Career: One chance to make a first impression

As they say, you never get a second chance to make the first impression.

Job seekers are aware of the importance of choosing the right words when talking with a potential employer.

According to the statistics, what you say is only the 7% of the whole idea a person may have of you. The remaining 93% is all about the non-verbal communication such as your body language, the tone of your voice and other little details about your appearance in general.

Beware if what you say doesn’t match what your body’s message, because those before you are going to believe you may lie.

You can learn few tricks to control how your body communicates during a job interview or a networking event:

  • Handshake

The way you shake someone’s hand should be firm yet not bone-crushing. It goes very well with a smile while introducing yourself.

  • Posture

Sit erect and relaxed, while showing some energy and enthusiasm. When standing, face your interlocutor and never cross your arms  – as it is a clear way to protect yourself and show resistance.

  • Eye Contact

Keep the eye contact, make sure your eyes meet frequently, but be careful not to stare. Try to avoid looking too much around the room while you are talking. It can be read as a sign of lack of confidence or uncaring attitude.

  • Hands

Gesturing with your hands while talking is natural, but keep it under control.

Try to avoid touching your mouth, your head and your nose while conversing as these gestures may subtly communicate that you are hiding something or even lying.

Be prepared on what you have to say is a fundamental principle, as well as practicing how you will say it is probably even more important for your interview’s outcome.

Remember that the nonverbal message can speak louder than what you are actually saying!

 

I lived in China for 5 years and I have been living in London for the past 4 during which I have been working as Career Consultant. I love travelling and discovering new places. I am the Director of Ni-Cons Career Consulting  and the Co-founder of Round the Corner.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *